Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do. – Steve Jobs
Develop a Model
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” – Buckminster Fuller
It’s not enough to simply state that there is a problem or that something doesn’t work. You have to:
- Find the problem (you’ve gotta see the problem, stillness, quietness, solitude help)
- Get to the root of the problem (not the surface) [Ask a lot of questions, then question your questions, think of it like a puzzle, and you’re looking at pieces, the goal is to integrate the broken pieces into one whole and find the root, sometimes you have to ask a lot of wrong questions and fail to finally get to the right answer. It’s the same processes for solving a math problem]
- Brainstorm a solution
- Pinpoint and define the solution
- Propose and build a solution
- Put the solution into action
- Test the solution (this is your Alpha mode, your experiment)
- Find the problems with it (deliberately look for problems)
- Refine & Tweak the solution (like any program or piece of software)
- Make it official
Only then when you have a solution that makes the existing model obsolete all on its own do you have something. The main thing to remember that in order to develop a model you have to ask good questions, to ask good questions you have to find the right question, to find the right question you have to explore, to explore you have to take many wrong turns!
Developing a model is a creative process. It’s a puzzle, it’s no different from a math or chemistry problem, or some other problem like what socks will I wear, or who am I? It takes creative thinking, brainstorming.
It’s OK if you don’t feel creative, creativity can be learned, and problem-solving is a process. Brainstorming can make the process fun and easy, mind-mapping software and carrying around a notebook helps. But also listening to inspirational talks like Shots of Awe, TEDxTalks, anything that inspires you to think and move. Just ask a question, any question you have and question it into being.
One method I like to apply is the 10 point Question. Ask a question any question, then ask a question to your question, then ask a question to that question. You can make it 10 questions, or just 5 Questions. Another thing I like to do is simulate scenarios worst case scenarios and best case scenarios, what would happen if we did this, and what are all the ways it could go wrong, what about ways that it could go right. Some of it we can never know until it happens, but when it happens with mental and emotional resilience we can persevere, rethink our experiment, tweak it and carry on.
To change the world you can’t fight other people, apply a self-development model to yourself, build a growth box tool and commit. You have to view yourself as an expanding organism and grow.
- Reflection/ Meditation – take time to find quietness and reflect
- Focus – still your mind, find clarity and focus.
- Action – take action
- Commit – take your time to decide what you want to do and then commit
- Flexibility – leave room for adaption and change
- Persevere – don’t give up (mental endurance)
- Passion – remind yourself why you do what you do, create a passion board and read all the things that inspire you and keep you moving forward
- Habits – build good and healthy habits that replace the old ones
- Community – find a community that supports your dream, the community is a friend
- Emulate Success – research failures and successes and emulate the success, look for all the things that could go wrong and make an effort to work against it
- Like-minds – Look for others who have achieved what you have or similar.
- Keep Learning – Realize you will never be a master and everyone has something to teach you
- Open Minded – keep your mind and heart as open as the sky
- Purpose – create a mission statement and a purpose for your life and live too it, don’t be afraid to change it.
- Patience – Delayed Gratification. This requires some self-control and discipline. The ability to have patience. It’s tempting to want to jump 10 steps and eat the cookie NOW, but the ability to take 10 steps and to be in the moment, with each step that you have to take, to get to the cookie is important.
- Go Slow – take your time, each day, everything that is meant to be done, will get done, trust that.
- Schedule downtime – you’d be surprised at how much more productive you will be when you leave room to play and enjoy life, less tired and happier.
- Mini tasks and goals – it takes many small steps to get to the top floor
- Focus on the Fundamentals & Build up – Music/Instruments, Singapore Math, Martial Arts, it’s all about the fundamentals, perfecting the score, not moving to the ‘next thing’. In the same light, “You” and growing you works the same way. Focus on the fundamentals of your growth and build up.
Focus on being the change you want to be, be the light onto yourself, and know that your impact as just one person can go far “see butterfly effect”
Don’t have any of these skills it’s OK, these are things that can be learned!
Mental-Resilience is a process, it goes by different names: Mental Endurance, Mental Toughness, Mental Training, Emotional Resilience. Visualization, positive thinking, core beliefs, tolerance, and letting go of the past such that it is valuable only as a lesson and training, nothing more nothing less than that. Be here now.
Be Specific about What you Do, Define your Mission down to a T
Don’t just say you are an entrepreneur, a writer, a game company describe what you do, be specific!
I develop games! That’s great, what kind of games? RPG games. Great what kind of RPG games, Table-top RPG, western RPGs, jRPGs, board-games? Keep going.
Same works with books. I write books! That’s great, what kind of books? Fantasy. What kind of Fantasy? Dark Fantasy and History. What’s the message? What do you want us to get out of it—why?
Or maybe you’re a Mom or a Dad a homemaker, a worker. Why do you do what you do? It makes me feel good. Why? For everything you do, for every answer ask yourself why. Your life is a puzzle, and your questions help you get closer to figuring out your Why, your Who, your What of this moment. And each day, each interaction you get a little bit better at defining your core, and when you look back at how far you’ve changed you can see the collage of You over this entire lifespan.
Enjoy your Now, Be Mindful, Be Excited about Today
Make every moment of your life count. This moment is so completely different from the last moment and the moment before that. Everything around you is different. It’s changing. There’s something in your environment you haven’t seen before. Look in the mirror this is a new you. Not the same you for yesterday, and not the you from tomorrow. This is the You today. Nothing is constant, all life is impermanent no matter how hard you try to make it. Memories are fallible they fall apart, people change, they grow, we live, we die. Enjoy your Now, and give that Now your very best.
So that even if you were to die tomorrow without ever completing anything you had worked so hard on. You’d be proud because you knew you gave it your best and you enjoyed your life doing it.
Keep track of all your accomplishments minute by minute, now by now, your progresses daily, weekly, look back at how far you’ve come. One step at a time. That is how you grow until one day you’re there, you’ve arrived, and enjoyed your life doing so.
Nevermind tomorrow, be excited about Today. Get excited about your life today, don’t put off learning a new skill tomorrow, start it now, make a list, prioritize. Learn, learn and learn some more, embrace curiosity and grow. Find the time, make time, life’s not busy unless you want it to be. Make time for what matters to you and leave behind the things that don’t.
Turn Problems & Negative Criticisms into Challenges
“Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” – Muhammed Ali
For every naysayer, for every person who tells you it’s impossible, for every negative person. Turn it into a challenge. Ask why it’s impossible, and find a clear path, a clear solution. No one wants to believe you can fly, because they can’t fly themselves. Use their eyes to help you see the problems you may not have seen, and build your solution anyway.
Tell Yourself a New Story
“The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can’t achieve it.” – Jordan Belfort
Envision how you want your life to be, and tell the story of how you got there. The steps you took. Interview yourself. Pretend that you’re in a room with your future self, ask them, how did they get there, what they do, how did they face the adversity?
“When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” – Eric Thomas
Trust that you can be successful. If in your heart of hearts you feel you have a gift for the world, and you feel that what you have can truly help make someone’s life better, that it’s worth developing. Then you do it and don’t let anyone stop you, even if it means you end up standing alone. If your dream is worth developing, nurturing caring for. Then you Nurture that desire, that drive, care for it and feed it as if it’s the only thing you’ve got.
The you from yesterday isn’t you, the you from today is it. Nurture and push yourself into a future where you are successful in all of your dreams and endeavors. Remember what is today, does not guarantee tomorrow. Who you are today, is not who you will be tomorrow. So find a way and keep carrying on.
Love What you do
The only way to do great work is to love what you do. – Steve Jobs
You have to breathe your work, love your work, live your work. Make every step one with intent and direction, focus, remind yourself and stay connected with everything you do and love. If you can’t remember why you love your work and you’ve lost touch with it, then step away, revisit it. Reflect on it. You will never make waves and be successful as you have defined in your life if you do not love every step and every breath of the work.
You have to have a lot of passion for what you do because it’s so difficult that if you don’t, any rational person would give up. – Steve Jobs.
Your work will be your lifestyle, your life. Will it be the 9 to 5 Job that society chose for you, that you just do to get by and pay your bills, that you would quit if you could retire today. Or will it be something that you would do until your dying breath if left to it. That is your passion, that is your love. It’s ok if what you love changes, but whatever you do, put your entire heart and whole inner being into it, it’s that special touch that makes your work great.
If you are truly committed to find a way you can have anything in this world. Dedicate yourself to your dream. Keep going until you reach the top. – fearless motivation
Believe in yourself and your vision and you will be unstoppable. Believe in yourself to be able to see the challenge, see your goal and find a way to success. Challenge yourself to believe and you are half way there to achieving greatness. Just make sure you want it and that your heart has good intent when you do, many worlds are destroyed when our beliefs are filled with bad and selfish intent. The belief you have is one that will add value to your life and those you encounter.
Someday you are going to die, embrace that fact. If you were to die today have you done everything that you want to do? Think about Death every single day and use it as a motivator to live your dreams. Today is the last day of your life, do everything as if this were your last day. Love the people who love you, and even the people who don’t.
There are 24 hours in a day, what you do in your 24 hours determines your tomorrow. What will you do today? We are programmed to die, and in less than 24 hours our life could be over. What will you do today to make your day really count?